Mitti ka bhi hai kuch mol magar..

As a Pakistani, there is one thing that I feel daily, I feel sick. I feel sick when people are assassinated for their political associations, for their views, for their religious beliefs or simply killed because people here are killed for no reason.

I am a Muslim and I am a Sunni, you know why? Only because I was born in a sunni family. Is there anyone here who can explain his religious beliefs (label if not beliefs) based on some other reason. There would be hardly anyone. Am I alive because human life is a valued asset? Because everyone has a right to live? Or I'm alive at the mercy of the religious extremists because apparently I was lucky enough to get birth in a Sunni family? Faiz Ahmed Faiz's poem 'Wo Subh Kabhi Tou Aaige' has been on my mind since yesterday, It says 'Mitti ka bhi hai kuch mol magar, insanon ki qeemat kuch bhi nahin'. This dilemma couldn't have been put in any better way but then again, the poem is optimistic, it says 'Wo subh kabhi tou aaige'. Here it has even become hard to stick to this optimism. 

I'm not a very religious person but lets talk about religion. Doesn't Islam forbid forcefully converting others to Islam? Doesn't it advocate peaceful preaching? Okay, Shias are Kafir if you say so Mr. Religious Extremists but then who exactly are you? Killing Shias is 'Sawaab'? From where did you derive your Islamic principles? I don't care if Shias are Kaafir or Muslim. All I know is they're humans which you guys certainly aren't because even killing a single person is against humanity while here we're talking a mass killing, a genocide.

People in Quetta have been protesting along with the dead bodies of their beloved ones for more than 10 hours in freezing cold and rain. Just the thought of it is more than enough to give goose bumps yet our media doesn't find the protest coverage worthy. Maybe the issue isn't grave enough. People have been demanding an army takeover. It's argued army takeover in the area is not the solution, the system needs to change. But how many more lives are we willing to compromise on till the system changes? Especially when you see no efforts to change the system. When this grave issue is hardly even taken notice of at higher level? For all I know, this needs to stop right away.

0 comments:

Post a Comment