Tale of religious insensitivity and tolerance

Sitting in a small room at a hindhu family's home in Liyari, asking questions for a survey, suddenly my eyes fell upon the statues of Bhahwan kept on a shelf at left corner of the room. I gazed around, to the right were paintings of Bhagwan and in my feet were my slippers. Guilt took over; I was on second last question so it was too late to go out to take off my slippers. I finished the survey and had the following conversation with the old couple.

Me: Ye mandir hai? 
       (Is it a temple?)

Them: Jee
          (Yes)

Me: Mujhe maaf kijyega, main jootay andar pehn k aagai.
       (Pardon me, I wore my shoes inside)

Them: Koi baat nahin, insan se hi galti hoti hai, Aap bhi hamari beti ho.
          (It's okay, It's humans who commit mistakes and you're like our own daughter) 

On one hand I feel horrible for my religious insensitivity, on the other hand I'm awestruck with their religious tolerance and acceptance. Living in a small rental home in liyari with 3 kids, these people are better off than millions of us.

0 comments:

Post a Comment